5 May 2020
Coalition of NGOs for Child Protection – KOMF in partnership with the KRAEEYN network, has addressed the assessment regarding the book package for the age groups of 5-6 years. This assessment is based on the Recommendation Policy on early childhood development, which was published in February 2020.
Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation is already in the process of evaluating textbooks, part of which is the didactic package in piloting for 2019 – 2020 for the age of 5 – 6 years.
For this purpose, KOMF has addressed the assessment which you can read below:
Books for pre-primary age (age group 5 – 6).
Last year the MEST has initiated the publication of books for children of pre-primary age. Contract winning publishing house has prepared a package of books, worksheets and various materials that are considered to weigh about 7 – 8 kg. In addition to the weight, number of books, notebooks, other materials, pedagogical content and requirements and tasks from the books and worksheets for the age groups of 5 – 6 years is overloaded. As far as these books / packages are concerned, the evaluation of preschool experts finds that these books are not suitable for this age, based on the following justifications.
- No specific books are preferred for this age;
- The children of this age learn by playing, not by doing classwork, one should have in mind that game gives them the opportunity to explore and learn new things. All contents of a book can be learned through the playing game;
- There is a dangerous tendency of schooling of pre-primary grade, on the other hand these books strengthen it. It runs completely outside norms for the development of this age, where children should not be required to sit down and do classwork as required by the book;
- The presentation of the letters and numbers, is not in accordance with what is taught at the first grade. The children of this age should be taught concepts of numbers and letters, but through games and not being imposed to write them;
- There are many other suitable sources that educators may use to teach children, they should take into account that the distribution of this pack may limit educators in finding these sources;
- The pack is so voluminous and overloaded as well frustrating for children who do not know how to read and distinguish content;
- The content of the package goes beyond the expectations of this age, majority of textbooks and requirements go beyond expectations of this age;
- To follow the development of children and achievements, an educator must observe the child, not evaluate his or her duties listed on a piece of paper;
The use of the book package should be immediately discontinued or modified with didactic materials that may serve as additional resources for educators to promote the use of printed materials.
Deadline: one month.