22 December 2020
Coalition of NGOs for Child Protection in Kosovo – KOMF awards the annual acknowledgements “Friend of Children”, in the field of social protection and social services decentralization, with focus on child rights in Kosovo, for 2020.
This year KOMF awards three annual acknowledgements “Friend of Children” 2020 for individuals or entities who have contributed to social services and child protection. Due to the pandemic Covid-19 and in accordance to the recommendations of the relevant institutions, the ceremony has been conducted online.
Annual acknowledgments “Friend of Children 2020” were awarded as follows:
- Advocate for the rights of children Rijad Mehmeti, is awarded the Annual Acknowledgement “Friend of Children 2020”. Rijadi, the voice of children with disabilities, managed to speak strongly about the needs of children with disabilities to the highest instances in Kosovo and to the European Parliament.
- Foster family from Ferizaj Ymrije and Halil Selmanaj, is awarded the Annual Acknowledgement “Friend of Children 2020”, which has sheltered abandoned, abused and neglected children and children in need for 16 years. So far this family has fostered 16 children and currently has 3 fostered children. This family keeps the door open for all children regardless of gender, age, nationality and especially their focus is in fostering children with disabilities.
- Dr. MSc. Burim Buzhala, is awarded the Annual Acknowledgement “Friend of Children 2020”, as a sign of gratitude and appreciation for the awareness-raising initiative undertaken by Dr. Buzhala, with the employment of the girl with Down Syndrome, Eloida Alija, as an assistant in his dental clinic. Working in the clinic has had a very positive impact on Eloida, making her feel proud and have more self-confidence. The Doctor’s message for the inclusion and equal treatment of all children should go to the family, institutions and society as a whole. According to him, with a little will we can do a lot!
The assessment of the nominations for the “Friend of Children” acknowledgements was made by the panel consisting of:
- Igballe Rrahmani – Ombudsperson Institution
- Blerta Perolli Shehu – University of Prishtina
- Zana Zeqiri – SHFMU “Meto Bajraktari”
KOMF thanks all the winners, individuals, businesses and corporations, who continuously and in an unsparing manner demonstrate will and engagement in supporting the community and above all children, toward the noble mission of the protection of their rights.
The award of the annual acknowledgements in the field of social protection and social services decentralization, with focus on child rights in Kosovo for 2020, is made possible through the project “Joint Action for Decentralization” funded by the European Union, managed by the European Union Office in Kosovo and implemented by Coalition of NGOs for Child Protection – KOMF in partnership with SOS Children’s Villages Kosovo, Organization for Children without Parental Care – OFAP and KMOP, as well as through the project “Strengthening Social Services for Vulnerable Children and Families”, funded by the Swiss Embassy in Kosovo and implemented by the Coalition of NGOs for Child Protection – KOMF.